Help End Hunger in the District! Volunteer to be a SNAP Outreach Specialist
From February to April, D.C. Hunger Solutions partners with D.C. Community Tax Aid to help eligible residents file their taxes to take advantage of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and enroll in SNAP, the nation’s first line of defense against hunger. For our 2019 EITC Campaign, we are seeking 40-50 enthusiastic volunteers to be SNAP Outreach Specialists.
This volunteer role entails:
- Providing SNAP application assistance (filling out a paper SNAP application with the client)
- Providing materials on free or reduced-price food resources in the DMV region
If you are unable to volunteer, please help spread the word to others who may be interested by sharing our 2019 flyer.
NEW volunteers are required to attend a three-hour long training on one of the following dates:
- Tuesday, January 15, 2019, 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, January 24, 2019, 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
- Saturday, January 26, 2019, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
RETURNING volunteers are required to attend one of the refresher trainings which are scheduled for:
- Thursday, January 17, 2019, 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, January 22, 2019, 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.
All trainings will be held at the D.C. Hunger Solutions office, located 1200 18th Street NW, Suite 400, Washington, D.C. 20036. A meal and refreshments will be provided during training.
Volunteers are asked to commit to a weekly time slot (generally two to three hours per week) during the tax season (January 28 through April 14). Shifts are available on weekends and evenings. Bilingual volunteers (especially for Spanish and Amharic) are in high demand for certain tax sites.
Questions or comments? Please contact Melissa Jensen at email@example.com or call (202) 640-1088.
- interning with D.C. Hunger Solutions
- teaching our healthy snack lessons
- staffing a booth at a community event
- researching policy issues
- creating a project tailored to your skills and interests.