The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly “food stamps”) provides households money to put food on the table. Use this calculator to find out if you’re eligible for SNAP.
Five Easy Steps to Apply for SNAP in Washington, D.C.
1. Complete an application. Choose one of the options below:
- Apply over the phone by calling DC Hunger Solutions at (202) 640-1088
- Visit DC Benefits Portal (https://districtdirect.dc.gov/ua/)
- Download the District Direct App (https://dhs.dc.gov/page/district-direct-mobile-app)
- Download an application (https://dhs.dc.gov/page/apply-recertify-benefits) from the D.C. Department of Human Services, Economic Security Administration (ESA) website
- Go to the nearest ESA Service Center to pick up a hard copy application. Gather the documentation for your application. Download a list of required documentation (https://dhs.dc.gov/service/documents-you-may-need-your-interview).
2. Submit your application.
Submit your application on District Direct (https://dhs.dc.gov/page/district-direct-mobile-app), take your application to any open ESA Service Center, or email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. You have the right to submit an incomplete application if you have completed and signed the first page.
3. Interviews are currently waived.
4. If approved, you will receive an EBT card.
The ESA office has 30 days to inform you if you qualify for SNAP (7 days for Emergency or Expedited SNAP). You will be mailed a letter stating if you qualify and how much your benefit amount will be. An EBT card will be mailed within 5-7 days. Customers without a fixed mailing address may pick up EBT cards at ESA offices at 661 H Street, NE and 1649 Good Hope Rd, SE.
5. Keep up with the program.
Important! Every household must complete a mid-certification form halfway through their certification period. Look for the form in the mail or on the District Direct app. YOU MUST COMPLETE AND SEND IN THIS FORM, OR YOUR BENEFITS WILL STOP. If there is ever a change to any of the information you stated on your application (e.g., income, address), change your information online through District Direct or call (202) 727-5355.
*You can also find center locations by calling 202-727-5355. Service centers are currently open for pick up and drop off only.
Our SNAP Outreach Team is available to assist with your SNAP application.
Please fill in your information below and we can get started.