The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly “food stamps”) provides households money to put food on the table. Use this calculator to find out if you’re eligible for SNAP.
Five Easy Steps to Apply for SNAP in Washington, D.C.
1. Complete an application. Choose one of the options below:
- Visit DC Benefits Portal or
- Download the “DC Access” mobile phone application through the Apple App Store or Google Play store.
- Download an application from the D.C. Department of Human Services, Economic Security Administration (ESA) website or go to the nearest ESA Service Center* to pick up an application. Gather the documentation for your application – download a list of the documentation needed to apply.
- Apply over the phone by calling DCHS at 202-640-1088.
2. Submit your application.
Submit your application online, take your application to any open ESA Service Center, or email your application to email@example.com. You have the right to submit an incomplete application if you have completed and signed the first page.
3. Talk to an ESA caseworker.
Interviews are currently conducted over the phone. A caseworker will contact you to complete the application process. They will inform you of any missing documentation and other programs you might be eligible for.
4. Receive an EBT card if approved.
The ESA office has 30 days to inform you if you qualify for SNAP (7 days for Emergency SNAP). You will receive a letter in the mail stating if you qualify and how much your benefit amount will be. An EBT card will be sent to you in the mail within 5-7 days. Customers without a fixed mailing address may pick up EBT cards at one of the two EBT training centers located at 661 H Street, NE and 1649 Good Hope Rd, SE.
5. Keep up with the program.
Important! Every household must complete and send in a mid-certification form halfway through their certification period. Watch for the form in the mail. YOU MUST COMPLETE AND SEND IN THIS FORM or your benefits will end. If there is ever a change to any of the information you stated on your application (e.g., income, address) you must inform the ESA Service Center. You can fill out a change form online, at your assigned service center, or call (202) 727-6600 or (202) 727-5355.
*You can also find center locations by calling 202-727-5355. Service centers are currently open for pick up and drop off only.
Our SNAP Outreach Team is available to assist with your SNAP application.
Please fill in your information below and we can get started.