About National School Lunch Week – October 14-18, 2019
National School Lunch Week, founded in 1962 by President Kennedy, is an official celebration of the National School Lunch Program. The week offers school staff, faculty, students, and families the opportunity to acknowledge the importance of healthy school lunch, the D.C. Healthy Schools Act, and the benefits that they offer to students in D.C.’s traditional and charter public schools. Thanks to the D.C. Healthy Schools Act, school lunch is filled with fresh produce, whole grains, and lean protein and local produce whenever possible!
This year, the theme of #NSLW19 is “School Lunch: What’s on Your Playlist?” Join in the celebration by helping us spread the word about the benefits of school lunch.
How to Get Involved
- Use resources from D.C. Hunger Solutions and the School Nutrition Association to spread the word about the importance of school lunch.
- Ask your school if they are planning a NSLW event.
- Are you an educator? Check out our teacher toolkit with links to lesson plans and in-class activities.
What’s DCPS up to for National School Lunch Week?
Oct. 15: Parent & Teacher Lunch Day
Parents and teachers eat free at Burrville, CW Harris, Drew, Houston, and Nalle Elementary Schools, and Ron Brown College Prep High School
Oct. 16 & 17: Your Tray, Your Way – Student Menu Voting
Two new pizza recipes (Alfredo and pesto pizza) will be featured and voted on during lunch at Excel Academy and Bard High School. The winning recipe will be added to the menu cycle.
Oct. 18: Your Tray, Your Way Results and Cafeteria Hero Spotlight
The pizza recipe with the most student votes will be announced. On social media, DCPS will highlight cafeteria heroes who go above and beyond to make school meals special for students.
- School Nutrition Association
- U.S. Department of Agriculture NSLP Fact Sheet
- Sample Social Media
- Social Media Tips
- NSLW Resources from FRAC
- NSLW Resource for Teachers
- NSLW19 Infographic (English)
- NSLW19 Infographic (Spanish)
- NSLW Instagram Image
- NSLW Facebook Cover Photo
- D.C. Hunger Solutions School Lunch Infographic