Communications Toolkit: D.C. Summer Meals Program
Summer meals play a critical role in closing the summer hunger gap that exists for low-income families when the school year — and access to school breakfast and lunch — ends. Given the current COVID-19 pandemic, the resulting economic fallout and the increasing hunger rates across D.C., summer meals remain as important as ever. This year, many Summer Meals sites are a continuation of the Emergency Feeding Sites opened during the early days of the pandemic. For a full list of DC Summer Meal sites, including at Emergency Feeding locations, click here.
To make sure that advocates, sponsors, educators, and others have everything they need to get the word out to the many children and families in the District that are not currently benefiting from free summer meals, we’ve developed a communications toolkit that includes graphics, sample social media posts, and additional resources.
Graphics: Download and share graphics.
- D.C. Summer Meals are happening this summer! Many emergency feeding sites will continue as summer meal sites. Any child 18 & under can receive free, nutritious breakfast and lunch all summer. Text “FOOD” or “COMIDA” to 877-877 to find the closest site. #DCSummerMeals
- Spread the word about the D.C. Summer Meals Program. Kids and teens under 18 can eat for free all summer, and parents can pick up meals without a child present! No sign-up or ID required. Text “FOOD” or “COMIDA” to 877-877 to find the closest site.
- 30,000 D.C. students eat school breakfast every day during the school year, and even more eat school lunch. D.C. Summer Meals keep nutrition available in the summer! Spread the word about #DCSummerMeals so students can continue getting the nutrition they need.
- The D.C. Summer Meals Program ensures that low-income children continue to receive nutritious meals when school’s out. Find a site near you at www.fns.usda.gov/meals4kids, or text “FOOD” or “COMIDA” to 877-877.
- Parents can pick up #DCSummerMeals without children present, and can get up to 3 days’ worth of meals per child. Each breakfast and lunch from D.C. Summer Meals meets @USDA nutrition requirements!
- The D.C. Summer Meals Program is happening this summer! Most emergency feeding sites will continue as summer meal sites, and no sign-up or ID is required to get a meal. Anyone 18 & under can get FREE breakfast and lunch every day June-August, and parents can pick up meals without a child present. Spread the word to help end hunger in D.C. Find a site near you by texting “FOOD” or “COMIDA” to 877-877, or by visiting www.coronavirus.dc.gov/food.
- Limited access to nutritious food and lack of quality programs during the summer months can cause kids to fall behind their peers. Help children in the District avoid this #SummerSlide by spreading the word about the D.C. Summer Meals Program! Kids and teens 18 and under can receive a free meal June-August, and parents can pick up meals without a child present. Text “FOOD” or “COMIDA” to 877-877 to find the meal sites closest to you, or visit www.coronavirus.dc.gov/food.
Instagram: Download graphics with your Instagram posts.
- The D.C. Summer Meals Program provides FREE breakfast and lunch every day to ANYONE 18 & under! Spread the word to help end hunger in D.C. Most emergency feeding sites will continue as summer meal sites, and no sign-up or ID is required to get a meal. Parents don’t need children present to pick up meals, and can get up to 3 days of meals per child. Find a site near you by texting “FOOD” or “COMIDA” to 877-877, or by visiting the link in our bio.
Blog, Fact Sheet, and FAQs
- With the D.C. Free Summer Meals Program, Children’s Access to Healthy Food Doesn’t Have to Take a Vacation
- 2018 Fact Sheet
- Frequently Asked Questions