Hear the D.C. Crunch
Wednesday, March 10, 2021
Join D.C. Hunger Solutions in making some noise to celebrate the many benefits of the School Breakfast Program – participate in Hear the D.C. Crunch on Wednesday, March 10, 2021, during National School Breakfast Week.
All you have to do is:
- Grab an apple.
- Take a picture while biting into the apple.
- Share on social media. Be sure to tag yourself and @DCHunger on Twitter, @DCHungerSolutions on Instagram, and D.C. Hunger Solutions on Facebook.
- Use the hashtag #HearTheCrunch.
- Get everyone you know to join in!
Did you know school breakfast and lunch are free to any child 18 and under at meal sites across the city? Parents can pick up meals on behalf of their children, and they can take up to three days of meal packs per child to avoid daily trips! Find a site near you at coronavirus.dc.gov/food.
Want to do more? Here are some ideas to engage students, parents, and teachers:
- Make sure apples are included on your breakfast menu for March 10, 2021
- Take a video while participating in the apple crunch and post to your school’s website and social media (remember to tag #HearTheCrunch @dchunger / @dchungersolutions)
- Invite parents to have breakfast with their child and include them in your Hear the D.C. Crunch! celebration of school breakfast
- Have teachers incorporate apples and nutrition into their lesson plans. Check out USDA’s resources for apple focused nutrition education
- While students are enjoying their breakfast, have them color an apple coloring sheet and write about their favorite breakfast items. Coloring sheet available in the Hear the D.C. Crunch Toolkit.
- Download flyers, graphics, sample social media language, resources for schools, and more from our Hear the Crunch Toolkit.
Questions? Email Paige Pokorney at firstname.lastname@example.org.